Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Jewel explains it all

My apologies for the extreme length of the two previous entries, and for the length of time between these entries and now. As long as it takes you to read my entry, it takes me quite a bit longer to brain-up and write. I'm a busy girl. Deal.

I'm 18 now and it has been within just the past few years that I have really started to think for myself. My parents and friends have their own opinions, beliefs, and thoughts, and in growing up I have been forced to make my own. Some I have rationalized and kept for my own, others I have thrown out. There are a few people in my life that I can turn to for advice but ultimately it is up to my own judgment to make the best decisions.

I hate racism. Probably only my closest friends know how true this is. What makes anyone superior to anyone else? Pride leads to the downfall. I've seen racism and discrimination of other sorts ruin relationships. To discriminate socially is to make a distinction between people on the basis of class or category without a regard to individual merit. It is not solely an act of exclusion, it is a simple thought of distinction. Social equality should prevail, all of mankind deserve the same status of approval. Looking around me I see racial, religious, gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnic and age-related discrimination. It's ugly. Stereotypes, ideas about members of particular groups, are such awful things. Many will fight to prove me wrong, but generalized behaviors and attributes have nothing to do with genetics, I'm sorry, it's culture and it's environment. What does that have to do with race? All tall people are not phenomenal basketball players, and all African Americans are not violent. I thrive on love and acceptance and in a few short years I will be the minority. I have felt a call to move away from my home, to a foreign land, and love the people.

On another note, I really have no interest at all in politics. I am registered to vote, but whether I will take advantage of this opportunity or not, I have yet to decide. I am quite aware that back in the day women fought for the right to vote. I just find it hard to believe that my 1 vote will make a difference. I do have a concerns with certain political issues like the US/Mexican border, but its not enough motivation to vote. I havn't done the research and without the appropriate facts and information I believe it's not right to take a stand and vote.

The last random subject in this random blog - twinship. I love my sister to death, but my individuality means alot to me as well. I put alot of value in my name because to some people, thats all they see different. If you can't get my name right, you don't know who I am, and that hurts, alot actually. The Reed twins are two different people. Please do not assume if Jessie is good at math, then I must be too; if I can sing well, then Jessie must too. I love being a twin, but it is not who I am, it is just what I am. Thank you :)

And to end this on a lighter note.. MMM BOP!

4 comments:

lilmomma said...

my dear, I must say I agree with you on many aspects of this blog. Especially the last one, although I do not know what it must be like to have a twin. I do know what it is like to be seen as being exactly like a sibling.
I must say it does hurt to be seen only for your siblings actions and accomplishments...beeeeeen there...
but keep your head up. I love ya!

Anonymous said...

Amen to the "being tall in basketball" comment!!! lol

Love Ya!

Anonymous said...

This world is in constant struggle with the idea of seeing people for who they are. Our identities are often connected with our basic appearance, but what is surrounding us. We must be attentive to hearts and who people really are, not simplistic judging to know a person. We must also be careful to not allow ourselves to be seen with our surroundings. The world is full of sin that easily entangles, and we must avoid the appearances of involvement (and also the involvement itself of course).

Anonymous said...

Hello! Ѕomeone in my Facеbook gгoup shared this site with uѕ sο І
camе to loоk іt oveг.
Ӏ'm definitely loving the information. I'm book-mагking and wіll be tweeting this to my followeгs!
Teггific blog and tеrrifiс design anԁ style.


My weblоg :: High Stаkes Bonus []