Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Saturday, May 09, 2009

in Cambodia...

I'm sorry that I haven't had alot of time to write. Internet isn't always available, and when it is it has been very slow. I am also very tired.
We arrived May 3rd, late Sunday night. It is so great to be back and see everyone! I missed so many people and it's great to see them again. It has been funny because I keep receiving phone calls from friends in Cambodia. When I am with Pastor Greg, Vandy and Leak and Pholla have called, and now I am with Titos and Vandy, and Pastor Greg has called me. Pastor Greg is our missionary and I intially had a difficult time connecting with him, but now we are tight and I really like him alot.
I also talked with Jessie on the phone one afternoon! She is in the Philippines with my friends that are missionaries there - and her missionaries called my missionaries and we were able to talk for a minute or two. I cried I was so happy!
I have eaten ALOT of sticky white rice! I am also enjoying Cambodian iced coffee. Intially, Pastor Greg refused to order for me because the ice is not good for me - but now I am drinking it everyday. =)
I had two nightmares before I left for Cambodia - one was that ther wouldn't be pillows anywhere, and that did come true 1 night for me because 7 of us were sharing 3 small beds. I did manage though.
Last night at the WBI I slept very little because it was late and there was 1 or 2 men that kept pacing past our window. I tried to convince myself that they were not there - but they were! The students told me this morning that it was probably just the working passing to use the restroom, but I know that they hung around for a little while.
I love my team so much! I know that God put the 7 of us together because we fit perfectly. I have been having so much fun with them and I feel like I can share absolutely anything with them. It's still 2 weeks away, but it will be very hard when they leave and I remain.
I ate 1 bite of a duck again and tomorrow I am CONSIDERING trying a tarantula. We stopped today at an outdoor market / rest area and there were children vendors and a couple girls had live tarantulas on their shirts. They tried teasing us with them - I almost cried and pee'd my pants!
God has taught me incredible things everyday. Seriously. My eyes have been opened to see people and situations that continue to grow and change me. We were eating late one evening and 1 woman begger really caught my eye, but I didn't give her attention. We gave her and egg and I said God bless you. Later I realized - she is representing the forgotten, the people of this world who we (unintentially) walk upon. I wonder what would have happened if I had decided to be radical in my faith and offered her my seat at the table, and bought her a meal. I don't know. I am being reminded everyday to be selfless and to be in an attitude of prayer and thankfulness.
Pastor Greg let me drive the van! I was so nervous on the roads with the traffic - but it was fun!

Mom - I love you! Happy Mother's Day and happy birthday!!
Jessie - did you meet a 44ish-yr-old man named Richard? He is going to be engaged to one of my best friends here (Channa).
Grandmom - I have decided to brush my teeth with the sink water - I know this is not healthy. Please pray for me. =) I love you!
Victor - everyone here thinks that you look like a Cambodian! Please tell your fam that I said hello!

I could write 1 million more things, but I also want to update the team blog. You can read that here: worldimpactiwu.blogspot.com We should have decent internet through Tuesday morning, so I will try to blog again tomorrow or the following day.

Please keep me in your prayers. Leave comments!!!

2 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Duck I would try.

Tarantula not so much.

Why isn't the ice good for you? Because it is made from impure water? The iced coffee sounds wonderful.

Joni said...

Duck - yes. Duck egg - yes. Duck egg with a partially formed duck in it - NO! I hope it was just the egg.

I thought of you when I was making stuffed peppers for dinner the other night and used rice. (Well, I think of you often...that was just an example)

I am so happy to hear from you. I cried when I read that you were able to talk to Jessie.

Guess what....Leah said DADA when we picked her up from the sitter on Thursday. She misses both of you too. Love you!!! You are in my prayers.