Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

My Precious Grandmom

If you have followed my blog for any length of time, you probably know that my grandmom is very fragile and often very sick.  Two weeks ago, she had a check-up with the doctor regarding a serious illness and surgery she endured in May. The next day, the doctor called my mom with grandmom's terminal diagnosis - fast-growing cancer in her liver and one lung.

She is truly a woman of the Word, of prayer, and admired by many! Grandmom was once a missionary in the bushes of Sierra Leone, Africa and although her two feet haven't been outside a few home states since her return from Africa, her influence has circled the globe, and her prayers have touched every nation. For many, many years she has financially supported almost as many missionaries and ministries as I have books on my shelf, including Samaritan's Purse, World Missionary Press, missionaries from the Christian Missionary Alliance Church, World Gospel Mission, the Wesleyan Church, and more.

I'm selfish to want her here any longer, enduring more. She wants to be with Jesus! She told me on the night of her diagnosis "my suffering will be short, but eternity will be long!"

For more than 10 years, Grandmom has been writing her testimony and life story in book form.  We praise the Lord that He gave her the strength and sight to finish her final revisions!!!  Once in printed form, this book will certainly be a gem for our family - a book to be cherished long after Grandmom is gone.  In it, she talks about life as a missionary, a pastor's wife, a mother, precious moments with Jesus, and life since Granddad passed away almost 20 years ago. I can't wait to read it and I pray that I will never take her written words for granted. 

Thank you for continuing to pray for Grandmom and that she will be with the Lord before she suffers much more.

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Cherishing her legacy,
Jewel

No comments: