Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Monday, June 18, 2012

Our First "Just Us" Vacation

Vacation! Vacation! A happy time of year! Vacation! Vacation! With the one I hold so dear!

On Friday, my sweet husband and I enjoyed a wonderful few hours of "vacation" together in the Big City.  It was just one day, but it was so wonderful to just be together and to be away!  10-15 miles down the interstate, I realized that I had forgotten my camera at home [on the charger!] and I was so angry at myself!  10-15 miles later, I had convinced myself that we would have more fun without the distraction of a camera and needing to take pictures.  (I'm not sure the credibility of that statement, but at least I wasn't angry at myself!)

Our first stop: The Children's Museum of Indianapolis, where we explored the SpaceQuest Planetarium, CSI Flight Adventures, Treasures of the Earth, Dinosphere, and more.  We saved $10 using a coupon, so we each enjoyed a huge $4 ice cream cone!  I was initially hesitant to go to a Children's Musuem "just us;" we skipped a lot - legos and dress-up clothes, etc. - but we had fun! I learned a lot and had fun experiencing something new with my husband!

After the Children's Museum, we went down the road to White River State Park, and walked along the canal in downtown Indianapolis.  I couldn't convince my shade-loving husband to venture very far before he insisted on resting on the soft, green grass under a tree.  Sitting in the grass, we enjoyed a unique garden of colorful blooms, fragrant flowering shrubs, a variety of textured foliage and the sounds of water flowing down the canal.  It was the perfect spot and time for a blanket, picnic basket, and camera!
When we had just enough of the heat, we saw To The Arctic in 3D in the IMAX theater at the Indiana State Museum.  The 45-minute movie was well worth the $9.50 paid to watch polar bears in 3D on a 6-story screen! To The Arctic took us on "a never before seen journey into the lives of a mother polar bear and her two seven-month old cubs as they navigate the changing Arctic wilderness they call home."

For dinner, we took the recommendation of many people and tried Jasmine Thai at 4825 East 96th Street in Indianapolis. I was pleased and would eat there again, but I had higher expectations!

I have two more vacation days that I need to use [or lose!] before June 30th.  I'm not sure yet when I will take them and what we will do, but I am very much looking forward to them!  After June 30th, I will be saving my vacation days for a trip to Cambodia!  I'm already dreaming about it!!

Love, Love, Love,
Jewel

1 comment:

Keetha Broyles said...

I believe that qualifies as a "stay-cation" 'cause you didn't go very far. And as long as I lived in Marion, I NEVER went into The White River State Park, though I often wondered about it as I "flew" by on my way into the zoo.

I HOPE you remembered to tell my cousin hello at the Children's Museum - - - he was the short guy with the HUGE handlebar mustache.

;-)