Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Friday, October 03, 2008

squats and automatics

Does anyone have any idea about what this blog might be about? hmmm.. squats and automatics?



Yes, this is a blog about toilets, well.. restrooms.  But it might be worth a read...

I've been really committed to drinking 64+ ounces per day - which means 2 entire nalgenes.  So anyways, I was in the restroom in Noggle yesterday and I realized something.  I need to describe to you the restrooms in the newly renovated Christian Ministries building at IWU.  The walls and floor are covered in small beautiful tiles.  There is a special counter for bags, with hooks above for jackets.  The sinks are stainless steel.  The toilets, sinks, and paper towel dispensers are automatic.  Automatic.  I was first frustrated when the toilet flushed itself at the improper time, then the temperature in the faucets was intolerable, and the motion sensors in the paper towel dispensers would not react to my hands.  I was frustrated.

And then... I remembered this::





These are khmer squats - or toilets in Cambodia.  In the first and third you see a bucket, and in the second a concrete box.  These hold water to rinse your hands, rinse.  Sure you can use soap and toilet-paper.. if you find any in your pockets.

It made me think about alot of things.  Not only was I reminded that God has called me to give up many things to follow His will across the borders, but my attitude.. it was wrong.  Yes, it was frustrating, but we are blessed.  To whom much is given, much is required..

I think I am actually going to write my next Advanced Writing essay about squats and automatics...



No comments: