Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Quicky Quick Update on Life

Between little Joaquim's funeral and the break-in at the missionary's home, the beginning of this week was very discouraging. However, it really has been an awesome week. Classes were canceled Monday and Tuesday for the funeral and grieving, but were commenced again on Wednesday.

My daily schedule looks about like this: Arrive at the school before 7:30 and sit with the students (36 in total) as they finish breakfast.



The main building on the campus of the Wesleyan Bible College in Xai Xai, Mozambique
When the students go to class, I take all the children to the creche (daycare) until 9:30. There are usually between 10 and 12 children, and we play games, color, draw in the dirt, etc. Yesterday, we made bracelets! I have been trying to teach all the children my portuguese name, Joya, however every morning they revert to greeting me, "Blanco Blanco" (white.)



My little bffs Japheth and Irasmo

At 9:30 I join the students for tea, bread, and fellowship. 6 or 7 speak English very well, and my portuguese vocabulary is always extended. On Mon, Wed, and Fri we have chapel from 10 to 11, but on Tues and Thurs I teach English. From 11 to 1 I assist Grandma Sue (an Australian missionary nurse) in teaching Community Health. It is really surprising (and sad) how little the students understand about even handwashing and basic sanitation.



Quite - he truly believes in his heart that he will marry an American, so I promised to show his picture to all my friends

We have lunch (rice & beans, or fish & shima) at 1:00 and start chores at 2:00. For chores I have done a variety of things such as: transplanting and watering grass, sweeping the paths, and burying trash. I always have a good time chatting with the students that I'm working with - teaching English, learning Portuguese, comparing our cultures, and sometimes singing. I will be very sad to leave them this weekend.


More pictures::

Pretenda's little sister


Marcus Matusee Jr. - the cutest baby around


The Creche - Simeone, Elena, Calimencia, Pretenda, Jonah, Joao, Japheth, Timeteo, and Gabriele


Mario


Armando
Tomorrow I will be preaching at Joao and Idenia's church. I will be preaching on Matthew 6:33 and "Putting First Things First". Thank you for your prayers!

2 comments:

Loren said...

jewelle, sounds amazing :) i cant wait to hear stories! i just saw your last blog too, thanks ::) I cant wait to talk to you when you get home! miss you and love you a lot! i'll be praying for you!

Jessie said...

mhmm i'm with Loren!