Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Freedom & Independence Day

I had so so so much fun this weekend celebrating Independence Day with family and friends, and enjoying three days away from the office.  Do I have any pictures to prove it? No. How L.A.M.E.!

I came home to Jessie cooking dinner on Friday after work. We watched almost two hours of TV before going to the campgrounds and spending the evening with friends, walking around the campgrounds and sitting around a campfire. Some friends were so kind to let Jessie and I sleep in their camper.

In the morning, we joined the same friends around the campfire for biscuits and gravy. I bought a few things at Goodwill at the 50%-off sale, and the afternoon was committed to yard work and getting a pretty awful sunburn. I started reading Slumdog Millionaire (the book!) and floated in the pool until dinner. Our family from Ohio arrived just before dinner, and we enjoyed a [delicous!] traditional Independence Day meal - burgers on the grill, pasta salad, fruit salad, corn casserole, sweet tea, etc. (No corn on the cob = SAD FACE.) Mom spoiled us with homemade ice cream and I fell asleep on the couch shortly after that.

Sunday morning, we talked about the consequences in Genesis 3 during Sunday School, and I cuddled sleepy babies in the nursing. After church, I took my cousin (who is transferring to IWU this Fall) on a tour of a campus.  We had chicken noodles and mashed potatoes for lunch, and spent the afternoon in the pool. Everyone gathered around the table to play Nirtz until dinner, and we had another good meal.  Jessie and I joined our campfire and biscuit and gravy friends for a large private display of fireworks on Sunday night, where memories continued to be made.

I slept until the beautiful hour of 9:45 on Monday morning (3 extra hours!) and talked with my handsome fiancé on Skype for an hour. Jessie and I rode our bikes and joined our campfire and biscuit and gravy friends at the Gas City parade and afterwards went to the Gas City Park for elephant ears. I spent the afternoon looking through old pictures that I'm clearing off my computer, and rode my bike to Grandmom's for leftovers. When it was approaching dusk, Jessie, Mom and I joined our campfire and biscuit and gravy friends (whom I love dearly!) and a crowd of other church people for more fireworks.  At the fireworks show, I cuddled Craig and Anna's sleepy baby bean.



"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." [Galatians 5:1 NIV]

"For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." [2 Corinthians 3:17 NLT]

Love love love, Jewel

No comments: