Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Friday, July 25, 2008

Blogging in Kansas...

Blogging from Hutchinson, Kansas...
It's been an interesting trip so far. I had no idea what to expect. When I flew in I was a little worried about connecting with Geovanni and Christine and our ride (Aunt Sheree) from the airport, but it was very easy and I landed at a gate just 10 away from Geovanni & Christine in the same terminal - no problems at all. Their plane was late, so I anxiously waited an additional hour (3 hours total). As I sat on a bench close to Geovanni and Christine's gate I noticed a woman pacing at the same gate, and an hour later she sat and asked me if I was Jewel. It was our ride! We stayed 2 night at George's (missionary to Ecuador) brother's house in a suburb of Kansas City. We basically did nothing at the house for 2 days except rest and talk and eat. The homeowners worked until 6pm, so day 1 we sat in these stranger's homes.. we didn't know them.. they didn't know us. We were quite hesitant to make ourselves at home, but eventually it came easier. We made 1 venture to Wal-Mart with Sheree's (missionary) aunt, Aunt Sheree. Geovanni has never been to Wal-Mart.. has never been to America, so I helped him find nice shorts and jeans in his size. Jael (Geovanni & Christine's 3-year-old daughter) has attached to me, and will no longer allow Christine or Geovanni to do certain things like fix her hair, or strap her into her car seat. It's only been 2.5 days.. so it's still fun! My Spanish-speaking abilities have been greatly challenged as Geovanni refuses to attempt his English, and Christine refuses to translate so I can learn and get better. Yesterday evening we walked about 1 mile to a beautiful little park (I know.. I haven't taken ANY pictures yet!) and I played with Jael. They have never seen squirrels before -- culture shock! Jael was so funny at the park because the other children were speaking English, and she understands some, but doesn't agree that anyone else should be speaking English, especially me! We drove 3 hours today from Nick and Stephanie's house to Hutchinson. We are staying in a really nice hotel called Grand Prairie Hotel and Convention Center for a big conference of the Kansas district of the Wesleyan District. There are alot of people here! There is a nice indoor waterpark called Kansas Splashdown that I will probably experience alot of with Jael over the next 2-3 days. Geovanni and Christine are speaking some, so I will watch the girls alot. Jael is napping now, and Kiara just woke up. Kiara is even more beautiful than her pictures. She has her hungry/sleepy moments, but is a very happy and smiley baby. I will probably be sleeping with Jael tonight, Geovanni and Christine in the other bed. George and Sheree should be arriving late tonight from Kansas City, so it will be nice to see them again too in the morning. We lost our itinerary so we really have no idea what our schedule for the next 3 weeks looks like. A man came yesterday to Nick and Stephanie's house and said hello I'm Dwane and I'll be driving you to Hutchinson tomorrow, what time do you want to leave? And we were like.... tomorrow? Ok. haha. No idea what is going on... we just go with the flow and follow whoever is leading, which eventually will be George and Sheree, who should be very familiar with our itinerary, Funny story... I accidentally left my charger in Indiana. Geovanni has a very similar phone, but also forgot his charger. Christine remembered her charger, but forgot her phone. So basically.. the 3 of us are worthless. Hopefully it won't be too inconvenient to find a Verizon and pick up a charger.. haha. Because we would really like to have a phone while we are traveling. Let alone.. period. haha. Until next time...

No comments: