Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Monday, July 14, 2008

Pursuit of Happiness..


Here is a video I made a week ago about the piece of my heart for the children in the batayes in the Dominican Republic.  A batey is a Haitian village in the Dominican Republic that houses sugar cane cutters and their families. The housing conditions in the bateyes are humbling and inadequate; homes are dark, overcrowded, lacking furniture, and without electricity or running water. The cane cutters work long hours in dangerous conditions, and they receive little compensation for their labor. The children of cane cutters are often unable to obtain official birth certificates and without such documentation they have limited access to public education and health services. I have been on seven missions trips but the conditions in the batayes are worse than anything I have ever experienced. Hoards of young children were running around naked, dirty, and alone.  Dirt and filth everywhere.  Houses made of scrap metal, small boards, and rags.  Just to look around was heart breaking.  It was one of the most impacting trips I have been on.  Here is the link to the Makarios blog, the organization I ministered under.

Orphan twins Jakob & Isaak::

when I visited June 2006........... and now

No comments: