I'm happy to participate in another random Wednesday meme, hosted by Lid at 2nd cup of coffee. Trace the link above to visit Mr. Linky and read the randoms of other bloggers.
1. Are you sticking to traditional Thanksgiving foods this year, or are you being culinarily adventurous?
Traditional – turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole (favorite!), cranberry sauce, green beans with almonds, fruit salad… (I'm salivating.)
2. Tell me something concrete that you're thankful for. (Something you can literally touch, see, etc., not a concept like "hope.")
Free tuition! Seriously it’s like a $30,000 annual bonus for Mom while Jessie and I are at the university. What a blessing!
3. You knew the flip side was coming: Share about something intangible that you're thankful for.
Grandmom’s improving health. Back in May we didn’t think she would still be with us for Thanksgiving. And she is!!!! My grandmom means the world to me. What a blessing!
4. Share one vivid Thanksgiving memory. It doesn't have to be deep or meaningful, just something that remains etched in your memory.
Back in 1998, in 4th grade, I was in the hospital for Thanksgiving. It fell during the middle of a 2.5 week hospital stay. I had acute cerebellum ataxia and was very sick. Mom is part-time hospital director, so was able to live in the bed next to me every day. She ate hospital food on Thanksgiving, and I remember Aunt Nancy (Mom's SIL) reading me Bible stories that night.
5. What is one thing that you know beyond a shadow of a doubt is going to happen this Thanksgiving because it always does, year after year?
My Aunt places 3 kernels of corn at each place setting, and as we go around the table and say 3 things that we are thankful for, Aunt Nancy records it in a journal.
6. Do your pets get any left-overs?
7. Does your family pray before the big meal? If so, do you join hands while seated, stand, repeat a formal prayer or offer a spontaneous prayer? Who does the praying?
Yes – it’s all about being thankful for our many blessings! Usually we are already seated and holding hands, and usually Uncle Andy or Grandmom prays.
8. Will you be watching football in the afternoon? If not, what will you be doing?
Often. This year I may be forced to sneak away and do homework while the others are napping. Terrible, I know! :( :( :(
9. There are two distinct camps of people on this issue: How do you feel about oysters in the dressing/stuffing?
I’m pretty sure NO oysters in the dressing.
10. Do you consider yourself informed about the first Thanksgiving?
I definitely know the story, but I couldn't tell you it in full detail. I know there were only 35 pilgrims (I bet you thought there were more!)
11. Which variety of pie will you be enjoying?
I celebrated on Monday with a piece of sugar cream, but Thanksgiving Day is reserved for PUMPKIN pie!
12. Do you feel for the turkey??
No.. I never feel for anything I’m eating.