Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Monday, January 26, 2009

The Unknown Impact

A couple weeks ago I was at the Horizon (the contemporary Sunday evening venue at my church) and I was sitting alone in the back after service; from a distance, I was watching three little girls, Emma, Amarah, and Elaina play pretend. I heard Amarah tell the two others that she wanted to be the mommy, Emma agreed and said she wanted to be Jewel. Elaina then fought Emma about being ME, and both agreed that Elaina could be Jessie. I kept sitting there, silent -- touched. I thought WOW, they are fighting over being ME. I try to always do what is right, but knowing that these three little girls are watching is alot of pressure (and it should be!) They are watching be, and they are going to try to do what I do. I knew this to an extent.. but never thought that in their little games, they would pretend to BE Jessie and I.
On Monday, in Intercultural Relationships, Dr. Jolly was trying to open the class for conversation and no one was speaking. Reluctantly, I raised my hand to speak. Dr. Jolly acknowledged me and as I began to give a response, he interrupted and said he wanted to introduce me. I wasn't sure what he was doing, so I waited. He then proceeded to tell our class (47 students!) that I am his best student. "Excuse me, what are you doing?" I was embarassed.. no one wants to be labeled this. I'm NOT a brown-noser! Then, I was touched. Whatever it was, I have done SOMETHING to get his attention, and with that came respect and appreciation. Yes, I work hard -- but I'm sure many of his students do.
It's encouraging to know that others have seen good things in me. Whatever is going on.. I hope that I can keep doing the right things...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you.