Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Friday, August 01, 2008

Hillbillies, Churches, and Mansions.

After another long drive we have finally returned to the casa of Nick and Stephanie, George’s brother and sister-in-law in Oakland Parks, Kansas City. Which means I have my own room, but we all share a bathroom. This afternoon we visited George’s parents where he grew up in a small country house with 9 siblings. It was a very hot hot day. We thought it would be fun to roam the pastures by foot and find the baby cows. It wasn’t that much fun, and I don’t remember seeing more than one cow (a black cow named Obama), but I can’t complain.  Everything we had for lunch (the salad, potatoes, carrots, green-beans, meat..) was grown in their garden.  Lester, George’s father, was very friendly. As we were walking the land he said, “I’m kind of a hillbilly” pointing to his push-mower, which was protected from the weather by a rather large bucket, and I couldn’t argue with him, it was a very “hillbilly” thing to do, but life looks fun for them.  Nick said his dad is a farmer that doesn't farm.
Yesterday was our first real speaking engagement, aside from the Kansas district of the Wesleyan church convention. Christine and I spent the afternoon making 3 tres leches cakes, which ended up looking rather unprofessional, but tasted amazing. They asked me to share a short testimony about my experience in Ecuador. I basically spoke completely unprepared, but a few people were very receptive. Our purpose in traveling and speaking is to gain prayer support, encourage supporters to GO, and raise financial support for George and Sheree to make a 4-year commitment, as well as financial support to build a community center on the church’s new lot in Racar. The building will be used to meet many of society’s needs in Racar (ie: computer classes, English classes..), hoping to not only raise a strong future generation for Christ, but solve some problems of today (ie: alcoholism, lack of education, weak familial support..)
We spent the evening with a family who spent a week or two in Ecuador almost 3 years ago. Mrs. Conley’s father prepared a “Hispanic” meal, thinking it would be a nice treat to have food from the homeland, but.. it really wasn’t Ecuadorian style food - a nice gesture though. The house was gorgeous, very unfinished, but truly a dream-house. Nick, Stephanie and I spent the majority of the evening at a table just us, which was nice - getting aside for awhile.
Tomorrow is Daniel’s birthday party. We’re going to a nice park for pizza and cake, and hopefully shade. 40 people are expected to come, so it should be a lot of fun. I’m hoping Jael is well-rested and entertained, and remains tranquil when Daniel receives lots of toys and gifts, and she receives none.
I really want to share a little conversation that took place between Abuela & Dale (Sheree’s grandparents in Missouri) just before we left Wednesday. Setting: Abuela, Dale, and myself watching the updated stock statistics on the TV in the living room, Nathan sitting with Abuela.
Abuela: Nathan you really are a good little boy..
Dale: Not like Daniel.
Abuela: I think Nathan has gas.
(Nathan begins to cry)
Abuela (10 seconds later..): Oh hush! Your mommy better come soon to stop this cryin.
Dale: He needs his diaper changed.
Abuela: Oh you hush too you don’t know what he wants..
Dale: You said he was poopy.
Abuela (stern look at Dale & Nathan): Now I said he had gas!!
Dale: Oh… bahahaha
Yea.. it was good times. I miss those two and their antics; their cold, dark, creepy basement; and their lake.

Aside from an abundance of Spanish lessons, these things I am learning in Kansas:

-Do not give your children everything that they want, and do not allow your child to continually have their own way. You will be their only friend, because no one will want to treat your child the way that you do, no one wants to hear them whine, and no one wants to give them everything.

-When I told people about this trip and they responded “Kansas!? In July!?”, they meant to say: “It’s REALLY HOT.. you should consider North Dakota or Vermont.”

1 comment:

Megan said...

Both lessons sound perfect - I don't think I could've summed it up better. But then again, I haven't been to Kansas in July...so I couldn't have known. :)

I'm so glad things are going well for you. Keep up the good work and Spanish lessons!