Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Monday, August 04, 2008

On the road again!

baby Nathan

We celebrated Daniel’s birthday on Saturday, unfortunately the hottest day of the year in Kansas City. I played one game of volleyball with Geovanni and George, and mostly George’s siblings, and it was very warm. Geo and Christine went out on the town with George and Sheree, so I watched Kiara and Jael for the evening. Kiara went to bed early, but I was Jael’s boss for quite a few hours. Nick and Stephanie were watching Stephanie’s 3-year-old niece and five-year-old nephew, and Jael wanted ALL the toys, but luckily Kyle and Kali’s personalities aren’t as strong as Jael’s, so it went surprisingly well. I fell asleep in bed with Jael when I put her down, then colored until Kiara woke up hungry around 11:30. Geovanni said I am the first person to put Jael to bed (besides mami and papi.)
Yesterday was our first Sunday service in a church (due to the conference last Sunday.) Geovanni and Christine did a 5-minute dealio in 2 services at Heartland Christian Fellowship. I sat through the same service twice, but enjoyed it both times. Four of five songs were new. The pastor was away, but recorded a 8-10 minute introduction video for their new series on LOVE. Then a missionary couple (raising support) shared about their heart’s desire to go to Mongolia. For Daniel and Nathan’s convenience, Sheree did not attend the first service and it was widely assumed that I was George’s spouse (even by those who know Sheree - but have not seen her recently.) When Sheree did come, it was widely thought that I was Sheree's sister. At least 12 people have told me we look ‘so very much alike.’
Yesterday afternoon we traveled 3.5 hours to Manhattan, Kansas to the Wuertz’s home church - Westview Community Church. Jael did not like that her parents were on stage and she was not allowed, so we spent the service in the nursery. We stayed 1.5 hours after service for desserts and socializing. Everyone gathered around Geo, Chrisitne, George and Sheree to pray, and it really was a touching moment for everyone - especially the four. Then we stayed the evening with Jeremiah, D.C. and baby Uriah. We have become quite accustomed to an irregular eating schedule, for example: breakfast at 8, lunch at 3, and dinner at 10; or breakfast at 10, lunch at 12, and dinner at 4:30. It was another late night, and we started Transformers around 10:45, and only Geo stayed awake. The Saltos do not have an alarm clock, so routine goes that I wake them every morning, and often return to bed, then Geo wakes me up later.
This morning we returned to Westview to have breakfast with Pastor Bob and his wife. They then counseled Geovanni and Christine in regards to an issue in Nueva Vida Iglesia Wesleyana in Racar. I decided that Pastor Bob is amazing, and his church is very well discipled. After about 1.5 hours the church staff came to pray over the Wuertzs and the Saltos, and when I said I was from “IWU”, Indiana, one of the pastors (Rick Hawthone) got very excited because we realized that he and my father were very good friends growing up. I called my father to tell him, but he wasn’t as enthused as Rick or myself. Whatever… party pooper! We talked less than 2.5 minutes and he was bored and ready to hang up. Thanks Dad, miss you too!
We said sad goodbyes to George, Sheree and Nathan, then a nice, deep-voiced man drove us halfway (2.5 hours) to Colby, where we met Pastor Gene, who then drove us another 2.5 hours to his house in Colby. I have also decided that I really like Gene, and his wife Joy. Gene reminds me of my uncle, Andy, for whatever reason. We are staying in their house for 2 relaxing days, and I expect we will have fun. Tonight there was a group of 20ish over for a cookout and the weather was gorgeous! Earlier today it was up to 109, but it was a very comfortable 85 outside tonight. The people in Colby (those at tonight's cookout) have been the friendliest people I have thus far encountered in Kansas. Everyone has been so great, but these people.. 10 out of 10!
As I sit here I am watching Herby in Spanish with English subtitles. It's the best way to learn! It's storming now which will hopefully cool the temperature for tomorrow, because plans are to visit Lance and Melissa's farm, then possibly go to the community pool. Our trip is nearing an end, but we still have many places to go. Seven days, and 4 or 5 more cities! Which means 4 or 5 more families, 4 or 5 more churches, 4 or 5 more houses, 4 or 5 more car rides... Always an adventure! I’m anxious to see the new places, but I am also very content resting in one home. I have had an amazing time with Geo, Christine, the girls, George, Sheree, and the boys; and I will be very sad to leave. I hope to return again to Ecuador next summer.
As for now….. dos horas!!

No comments: