Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Coming Down the Summit

I realize this is long and there are no pictures, but I expect you will find it worth reading.  I hope something sparks reflection in your heart.

"I'm addicted to growing in Christ." -- Dave Ward

Last week at IWU was Summit (revival/Spiritual emphasis week.)  Dave Ward spoke Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday - morning and night.  It was an incredible week.  Life-changing.  I was disappointed on Thursday when there was no Summit.  GOD WORKED IN INCREDIBLE WAYS through our campus.

It was great to see everyone so moved in worship.  Hands were raised, hearts were surrendered.

Dave opened the week with 2 Peter 1:3,4... His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us His very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. God has given us everything we need for godliness, for intimacy with Him.  "Take advantage of this opportunity [Summit/IWU atmosphere]."  To whom much is given, much is required -- and we have been given everything!

Wednesday night after the message, and the post-message worship time, Umfundisi (Dr. Jim Lo) prayed and said "go in peace," but the overall feeling was that no one wanted to leave the presence of God.  We remained there for almost 45 minutes, some remained prostrate in prayer, others sobbing, or embracing others.  Many of us continued in an atmosphere of traditional acapella worship, led by students in the rows around us.  

That night Dave had talked about sanctification in a manner that I had never heard it before.  Sanctification is loving NATURALLY, being bent towards purity (rather than a sinful nature.)  When you are sanctified, God is so evident in your life that you know nothing else.  It is God's will that we live a pure and holy life.  It is hard for me to think that I could be so consumed in His love that I am free from willful sin.  Also, the idea of loving NATURALLY is difficult.  I have committed myself to this, but I will admit that I have not had a loving attitude towards a person or two.  I love this promise in 1 Thessalonians 5:24 - May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless... The one who calls you is faithful and he'll do it!  Believe, surrender, plead!

Another day, Dave read James 5:17- Elijah was a man just like us.  He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years.  He talked about trying to fit God's will on a post-it note, when He has given us a grand canvas.  "Elijah was a man just like us."  Do you believe that?  That really hit me, because the first week when I returned to school early for leadership, we had a campus-wide leadership convocation.  There I felt God calling me to something really big, something bigger than myself.  God used Elijah for incredible things!  One of Dave's points this sermon was that Elijah prayed earnestly, prostrate with his face in the dirt (1 Kings 17-19.)  1) Elijah listens for God's will. 2) Elijah risks himself (his life - everything) for the accomplishment of God's will. 3) Elijah begs God to do His will.

One morning I was really challenged to dig deeper into Scriptures, as I have NOT been in a habit of doing.  Psalm 119:9 says: "How can a young man keep his way pure?  By living according to your word."  I love the words of Psalms 119:105-112 says: 
By your words I can see where I'm going; they throw a beam of light on my dark path. I've committed myself and I'll never turn back from living by your righteous order. Everything's falling apart on me, God; put me together again with your Word. Festoon me with your finest sayings, God; teach me your holy rules. My life is as close as my own hands, but I don't forget what you have revealed. The wicked do their best to throw me off track, but I don't swerve an inch from your course. I inherited your book on living; it's mine forever— what a gift! And how happy it makes me! I concentrate on doing exactly what you say— I always have and always will. (The Message).

Numerous times throughout the week we sang Steve Fee's "Glorious One" (YouTube).  It really is an electrifying song.  His presence was so evident as 1,200 bodies joined together in worship.  I could almost hear a band of angels singing with us.

Our hands are lifted high; Our hearts are bowing in reverence
And we're surrounded; By the glory of Your presence

And with every creature; Every tongue
We're lifting our hearts; To the Glorious One, yeah

Glorious One! Glorious One!
Light of the world; You outshine the sun
King of all kings; Eternity sings
Glorious One

God of infinite worth; With hands that carved out the oceans
You hold the universe; And still You run to the broken

With every heart; That's been set free
We're lifting our song; To our Glorious King

Glorious One! Glorious One!
Light of the world; You outshine the sun
King of all Kings; Eternity sings
Glorious one

There is none more beautiful
Yeah, there is none more wonderful

Glorious One! Glorious One!
Light of the world; You outshine the sun
King of all Kings; Eternity sings
Glorious one

A final reflection is on the word PLEAD.  Dave used this word once or twice in relation to prayer, and really asking God with our whole hearts.  What a word!  At the close of Summit on Wednesday evening I was surrounded by a group of 4 amazing friends from Bible study, and I found myself lying prostrate in prayer, pleading with God that He bend me towards purity and loving naturally.  Even after an incredible 3 days of God's goodness, I became frustrated, left with empty feelings.  I did not hear an audible voice, but the words "Be still and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10) kept replaying over and over in my mind and heart.  Still feeling like I hadn't gotten a response from Christ, we were lead into "Glorious One" and except for one red spotlight on the cross, all lights were shut off.  It was black, yet the cross shone.  I can't explain it, but it was almost as if my heart broke with JOY at the realization of God flooding through my Spirit IN THAT MOMENT.  I attempted singing and sobbing at the same time, but quickly found myself silent and in awe.

Glorious One! Glorious One!
Light of the world; You outshine the sun
King of all Kings; Eternity sings
Glorious one

2 comments:

Joni said...

Wow! You have an amazing ability to share your experiences and make others think. Thank you fo that. Love you,

JellyVision said...

One thing I hated were the haters that would say that summit week was just a spiritual high. Let me tell you, soak it up because moments like this rarely happen in your average church. Take it and let it change you and draw you closer to God. Good post!

If I'm ever down there, I'll look you up