Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Whale

My friend Thelita posted these pictures today of a beached whale in Xai Xai, Mozambique. I spent 7 weeks on the Indian Ocean shoreline this summer, and the Vermaaks lived just down the street. What an incredible sight!




I am not sure what is in this last picture. It is clear from the previous picture that this end is his mouth, but I'm not sure what the extending bulge is. Any thoughts?

As I view the grand majesty of the mountains, the great power of the oceans, the gorgeous sunrises and sunsets, and the complexity of all living things, I am overwhelmed by God's great care and goodness. His power is unfathomable.

“Creation therefore remains a kind of first revelation which speaks to us clearly of the Creator and which can lead us ever more deeply into the mystery of God’s love for us.”

Even when I look at something like a beached whale, I think nature is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen...


Edit from Thelita: "It's a Southern Right whale. The locals pretty much ate the whole thing, but the skeleton of the whale is going to a museum in Maputo and the rest of it's floating around in the pool in front of the reef. They buried some of it too!"


Here I am standing in the reef where the whale remains are now floating

2 comments:

Tonja said...

I have only recently fallen in love with whales. At my old age! God figure. Anyway, after seeing the humpbcks in Maui this year, I have researched some and found what wonderful creatures they are. So sad when one beaches himself. The death must be agonizing. On FB, I 'like' the page of the Pacific Whale Foundation, which I joined while in Maui. They do research all year and are now in Australia. The have had some fascinating stories!

Kari said...

that's a sad sight.