Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Monday, September 28, 2009

Still a learning process..

I'm learning so much in school. I'm taking Basic Christian Doctrine (basically Theology 101) and I love it. I'm taking Intro. to Development Theories, and the books are so good. I'm reading all I can and taking it seriously because I feel like it's a good thing to do and it will make me a better person and missionary. I don't think this works for everyone, but it is for me. I also have a big stack of books that I want to get through between textbooks.
First is::

The Relevant Nation -- A Field Manual for Changing Your World -- A book of a collection of essays on pressing social just issues such as HIV/AIDS, trafficking, hunger, poverty, fair trade, etc. I feel it now - a revolution is happening in our generation. We see the strife in the world as generations before ours could not—whether a terrorist attack or a tsunami, we watch the devastation of such tragedies play-by-play, and it moves us. But how do we apply our energy to alleviate the suffering of those around us? Especially when we’re busier than ever and less able to give of our time to serve just causes at home and around the globe? I am inspired and moved to take action on local, national and international levels—using God-ordained weapons of charity, love, peace and willful self-sacrifice to serve others.

Also, I'm continually trying to learn more about Cambodia and the worldview of Khmers (Cambodians). Here are some funny - but true - descriptions of the differences between the Western and Khmer cultures.



Western/Cambodian

Handling problems::

View of self::


Lining up::


Way of Living::

1 comment:

sara said...

Jewel,

thanks for posting on my blog. I am thrilled to lift you, your sister and your friends and the church in the Philippines up to our Lord. Please keep me posted on how each are doing! you can email me updates at: sarawbowyerATmsnDOTcom.

Sara