Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Friday, January 01, 2010

Learning to write '10 instead of '09...

This is it! A new year and a new decade!
I crossed midnight surrounded by a few older married friends at church.. playing games and drinking white sparkling grape juice. The Browns, who are a family very dear to me, moved this summer to pastor a church, and were with us. Love love loved seeing them! Like I said, they are all older and married friends (I'm only 21 and a JR in college btw), but my sister and I have always been close to this particular group and a few others and felt pretty included considering the differences. Good times...

Have you played the game Things? I love love love it. It goes like this: The reader reads a card from the pile that might say:
"Things people do when no one is looking"
OR "Things your parents forgot to tell you"
OR "Things you shouldn't tie to the roof of your car"
OR "Things you shouldn't say to the First Lady"
OR "Things you shouldn't have to pay for"
AND THEN players write whatever comes to mind and folds it up. The reader then reads everyones' responses, and starting on the left, each individual tries to guess who wrote what. It's hysterical! Oh my gracious! I think it's fair to say I have some pretty funny friends...

The party was over before 1:00, which is pretty early considering I'm frequently up past then on an average night (still trying to finish the Chronicles of Narnia series before Jan 11 when I move back to school), but it ended up being okay because I spent over an hour chatting on Skype with friends in Cambodia. I spent about an hour talking with my friend Rolitess who I lived with this past summer, and then a few minutes each with two other girls. It was so so so good to talk with them, especially since I hadn't talked with Zanda or Somnang since I was there in May. July 2010 will find me back in Cambodia! Can't wait.

A few more points of interest:
* It's 2010. I graduate in 2011.. can't believe it! Only one more semester for a few good friends, and then they're done and I'll need to replace them with new freshmen. (Just kidding.. just kidding.)
* I remember one conversation with a professor and I asked, "Can you believe it's almost 2010?" and he responded: "I still can't believe it's the twenty-first century." HA.
* On a similar note, last week I was writing a check and wrote 2008. WHAT? Are you kidding me? I won't be used to writing 2010 on a regular basis until at least March or April. Gracious.
Happy New Year everyone! Look forward to my resolutions and a few more 2009 memories tomorrow...

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I always have trouble writing the new years date...takes me forever to get that in my mind.
Happy New Year!
Blessings, andrea

Kari said...

Happy New Year Jewel.
That game sounds like so much fun. I'm going to have to try it.
It's always difficult to change those things we are so use to and become like second nature.
Have a wonderful 2010 and may all good things come your way.