Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Nahun Zeleya

Since sometime last Fall, around the beginning of October, I have been friends with a guy in Honduras. I went to Honduras a few years ago and worked at El Sembrador, a boys' boarding school in Olancho; and Nahun and I must have a mutual friend on facebook from there, because he added me as a friend on facebook, and we have been talking online since then. We used to talk almost every evening on the weekdays, as he worked in an office with great internet capabilities. He was a great assistance for my Spanish, because we always talk in Spanish. He asked me once back in January if I thought coming to America "wet-back" (without legal documentation) was a sin, and I wasn't sure what to tell him. Well on February 13 he crossed the boarder to live with his brother Texas, and raise money to send to his family in Honduras. He was very hopeful for an opportunity to help his family, and sought God in everything. Well, evidently he was caught, and held in prison for 20 days before he was returned to Honduras just today. He said he wasn't treated very well, but he wasn't abused. We didn't talk long, because I was rather stressed with this huge exegesis paper due tomorrow afternoon, and my very-important-for-my-grade-if-I-want-to-stay-on-the-Dean's-list economics test in the morning, so Nun and I will happily finish our conversation tomorrow. I am disappointed because his dreams were crushed, but I am glad that we can finally talk again. We hadn't spoken since the day before he came to America. I'm very curious to hear what else he has to say...

Because everyone like's pictures...

Nahun (red tie) with his family and friend's at the non-denominational church, where his dad (grey suit) pastors, in Tegucigalpa.


Nahun (on one knee) with his brothers and cousins on Thanksgiving, or maybe Christmas.


Nahun (with Christmas tree)

Don't worry Mom (and Joni), he doesn't have my address, and doesn't know my english name. =)

5 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

And Keetha.

Jewel said...

Yes, and Keetha - don't get your... something.. in a fritter? don't get your fancy in a fritter? don't fritter your fancy?

What am I trying to say?? Is it you that always uses this "Calm yourself!!" expression? I think it might be. I tried goog'ling it, but obviously if I don't know the words - I have a problem.

SHOOT! FIRE! SPIT! SNOT! Why can't I remember it?

Jewel said...

Is it something about a feather?

Don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about! haha

Joni said...

I love that you added that :)

I must say that it is nice to hear the other side of the story in situations like his. You have been blessed with all of your cultural experiences and the relationships that you have developed.

I always love to hear your stories. I live through your eyes often.

Keetha Broyles said...

"Don't get your undies in a bundle"

"Cool your jets and stay airborn"

And yes, "shoot fire spit snot" is DEFINITELY mine.

Oh - - - I did used to tell you guys, "80% of that"

"Oh my stars and garters"

These are all ridiculous expressions that I am prone to make - - -