Please click the pictures to visit my other blogs:
Jewel in Cambodia Scarves for Cambodia Journals for the Journey

Monday, July 19, 2010

Matusse is The Man.

I promised that I would only talk about Mozambique on Mondays and I'm very excited because today is Monday! Today was a very busy day - it was my first day back to work since April - and I worked two jobs. I am back in the Nursing Division on campus, and I am also working at Marion Community School's registration, advertising school uniforms from a local print company. I'm actually too tired to blog, but I knew that if I waited until tomorrow, that I would miss the opportunity to write about Mozambique! So here goes:

I want to tell you about a wonderful man named Pastor Marcos Matusse and his wonderful church. First, it must be stated that Pastor and Mama Matusse make very beautiful children.
Marcos Matusse Jr. (Markito) is the cutest baby in Mozambique:


It was at Matusse's church where my team and I built concrete blocks to construct a new church building. We carried the water African-style, mixed the cement, and used molds to make the blocks. It really was an incredible experience! On day two we decided that it would be more effective to hire professionals, who we assisted in the morning, and watched in amazement in the afternoon.
Albert & Pastor Matusse taking sand to the cement pile:


An official Mozambican block mold. We made more than 800 blocks with only three molds.


The finished product drying in the sun (where it should remain for a week):

Notice the very flat-footed imprint (bottom left corner) - the effect of walking barefoot for any number of years, or with flipflops if fortunate enough.

João and I worked like clockwork together! I shook the mix in the block mold before the others pounded it down. Then I carried the full mold to João, who carefully placed the blocks. As I dropped the full mold, João handed me an empty mold that I carried to the cement pile to be filled again. The work was both exhausting and exhilarating.


When finished, the blocks will be used to build a new structure around the existing reed church; the old church will then be torn down, and the new church will be bigger and stronger. I hope to have the opportunity and blessing to visit again when it is completed!


It was at Matusse's church where I was fed this incredible feast of chicken, chips (fries), and brown rice with onions. Each guest was given their own bottle of coke, and we had hot tea and boiled cassava for dessert.

and it was in Matusse's church where Maria, Amelia, Grace, and others taught me how to cook the African way. This meant in a reed kitchen that looked like an outhouse, and over a fire under a large cashew tree.
We pounded corn and cassava:


We gutted fish with our thumbs:


I'll never forget cooking with these ladies, and singing with these ladies. I'll never forget playing peek-a-boo with Amelia (on my left) on either side of the cassava tree. I appreciate very much the beautiful capalana they gifted to me, and sometimes I wear it just because I'm feeling sentimental!

Finally, it was in Matusse's church community where we went on an evangelistic tour from house to house, and where this papa and mama were saved! It was in that community where I preached the message of salvation at the home of a witch doctor, wherein the witch doctor's wife asked forgiveness for her sins and was gloriously saved and redeemed! Praise Jesus!

No comments: