1. Tell me something about your favorite teacher.
Favorite elementary teacher? High school? University?
We’ll go with right now.. Dt. Pettis, or Dr. P – he’s a professor of Intercultural Studies, and also my advisor. He’s kinda cheesy, but I enjoy his company. Why is he my fave? I’ve laughed in his office, dreamed in his office, cried in his office, and gone to his office angry, only to leave laughing and rolling my eyes. Last year we went through a long phase of trading music. I gave him Shawn McDonald, he gave me the Beach Boys, I gave him Jack Johnson, he gave me the Righteous Brothers. I’m sure we’ll make more memories when we go to Mozambique together in May. Yes, we’re co-leading a missions team of 8 students to Mozambique next May. Good times. :]
2. Tell me about one pivotal moment in your life.
When I was very little, 3-years-old, I asked Jesus to live in my heart. Two years later, I did again. I remember it being so real, even at age five. I was in kindergarten and it was after morning chapel [I think Jamie Stargel’s mom had spoken], and my teacher, Mrs. Curtis, was offering to us the sinner’s prayer. We were sitting Indian-style on the carpet at the front of the room by the chalkboard, and my best friend Garrett Bireline was sitting on my left. Everyone says they can tell you where they were, what they were wearing, when they heard about the attack on the Twin Towers, or Kennedy’s assassination. I can do the same for this moment. Halfway through the prayer I decided that I wanted to make the commitment, so I caught up and I got saved. Inside I felt very different, but I’m not sure how much in changed my little five-year-old spirit.
3. About favorite colors--a lot of people will ask you what it is, but I want to know why it is. What feeling or memory does it evoke?
Green has been my favorite color for as long as I can remember. I have also loved purple since my grandpa Reed died when I was in junior high; his favorite color was purple. I wasn’t super close to him, but liking purple was a way of keeping him alive in my eyes.
4. What's a sure sign that you're getting older?
All my friends are getting engaged, and married, and having children! My best-friend-from-high-school's son is 8-months-old now!
5. Please don't sermonize, but Halloween--is it a yes or no for you?
I certainly wouldn’t feel incomplete if I didn’t celebrate Halloween like I would if I skipped Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas, but it certainly makes 1 night a little more fun than others!
6. What's your favorite musical?
Fiddler on the Roof (If I were a rich man, ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum). I haven’t seen too many though.. I’ve been in both The King and I and The Sound of Music and I’ve still never seen either.
7. Are you more of a city mouse or country mouse?
I would hate to choose either extreme, so I’m going to say town mouse! Or village mouse. :]
8. Did you know that it is possible, for a small fee, to name a real star after someone? (It's true! Google it!) If someone were to name a star for you, would you appreciate it for its whimsy and romance, or would you say, "Are you kidding me? For $19.95 we could have gone to the movie and actually bought popcorn."
I would definitely appreciate it for its whimsy and romance.
This question comes from Paula at His Ways Are Not Our Ways.
9. What's the craziest thing you've ever been doing and texted during it? I only thought of this b/c I was about to try to text during my walking video but I didn't. (Paula, you do know that this blog is rated G, right?)
Driving.. eating.. studying.. sleeping.. bathroom stall.. watching movies.. playing Scrabble..
10. "It's not a party unless _______."
…there is laughter and food!
11. When you're stuck in traffic or a waiting room, what do you do to pass the time? PS: There are no magazines available.
I would talk to the driver (because I prefer the passenger seat). Oh, I’m alone? Then I would jam to the radio and text. If I’m in a waiting room, again, I likely have a friend or sister with me, or again, I would text.
I remember once being stuck in traffic for almost 2 hours in Florida on family vacation. My dad made friends with an old lady who had also gotten out of her car.. it was only fun for about 10 minutes.
12. If you weren't yourself, would you be friends with you?
I would be! Not only am I likeable [hehe], but I have a couple friends that are alot like me in many ways.